In the comment section of a recent blog, a North Miami reader posted a website called Neighborhood Scout, which stated that the crime index in that city is 6 out of a possible 100, with the explanation that North Miami is “safer than 6% of the cities in the US.” Based on that comment, I noted that this necessarily indicates that the remaining 94% of cities in the US are safer than North Miami.
In posting the crime rate data for North Miami, Neighborhood Scout indicates that its information is from the 2013 year total data, released in final form in November, 2014. I was curious to see what type of information I could find out by doing a little research of my own.
The U.S. Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation jointly host an interactive website called Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics (UCR Data Online)”that allows users to build their own customized data tables.” Users can create their own charts in order to obtain crime statistics on a national, state or municipal basis, and customize the tables to include multiple variables, such as number of years, types of crimes, numbers of crimes, crime rates, and the like. The most recent data currently available on this website is through the year 2012. The crime rate statistics for 2013 were published in November of 2014, but they have not yet been made available for comparison on the UCR Data Online website.
Just for fun, I decided to compare the violent crime rates for the ten year period from 2002 through 2012 for the entire US, the State of Florida, and the four neighboring cities of Aventura, Miami Shores, North Miami and North Miami Beach.
The Violent Crime Rate column is calculated as the number of crimes per 100,000 of the population. The four columns to the right of those figures are the categories of the specific crimes that are included in the total Violent Crime Rate.
Here are the results:
The good news is that over the last ten years, the violent crime rate has decreased nationally, statewide and locally. Also, while the violent crime rate in Florida is higher than the US average, since 2009 the gap between the state and national rates does seem to be slowly narrowing.
Locally, however, a much different picture is being presented.
For the year 2012, no one would be surprised to see that Aventura’s violent crime rate is roughly 65% less than national rate and about 72% less than the crime rate for the State of Florida.
During the same year, Miami Shores experienced 450.9 violent crimes per 100,000 population, which is greater than the national rate, but slightly less than the state crime rate.
At 854.6, North Miami’s violent crime rate is more than double the national rate, and close to twice that of the State of Florida’s violent crime rate.
Surprisingly, while still greater than the national and state violent crime rates, North Miami Beach’s rate of 647.6 is less than that of North Miami’s by 207 violent crimes per 100,000 population.
Out of these four neighboring cities in northeast Miami-Dade County, it appears that North Miami has the highest violent crime rate and is the most dangerous in which to live.
“Spreading the Wealth”